WILDERNESS INSTITUTE 2010
Purpose: To develop the student’s leadership and technical outdoor skills in the context of a wilderness expedition. The primary focus is on leadership development.
Dates: May 19 – June 15, 2011
Cost: Approximately $450 plus tuition for nine credits – includes, food, group and technical equipment, permits, contractor services. (Personal equipment, personal expenses while traveling and transportation not included)
Number of participants: 11
· Purchase Backcountry Classroom and Field Manual
· Research topics and develop lesson plans
· Complete and submit medical and waiver forms
· Pay $450 lab fee by April 22, 2011. Once provide Mark with copy of the receipt.
· Engage in pre-trip physical training to meet individual needs
Tentative Schedule (Note: this will change)
Section 1: May 19– 23
Orientation, rationing, shakedown, introduction to canoeing, challenge course experience (Selu)
Section 2: May 24 – June 4
Whitewater Canoeing/Rafting & Technical Rock Climbing
Section 3: June 5 - 14
Backpacking expedition, individual solos, group final expedition (Pisgah Forest, NC)
Return to Radford on June 15th
Instructor of record for RU students: Mark Wagstaff, email@example.com, 540-831-7724
Hollins University Instructor of record: Jon Guy Owens
Assistant and co-instructors will be part of the experience to provide technical expertise and additional support.
· All students must carry personal health insurance
· Cell phones, alcohol and drugs are prohibited
· This is an educational experience: standard syllabus will be provided that outlines assignments, quizzes and grading procedures
· WEA certification available
· Full personal commitment is required for success
· LNT Trainer Certificate offered
· Weather could significantly affect the schedule and activities
· Student drivers must have valid drivers license, car insurance and acceptable driving record. Copies of driver’s license and insurance must be photocopied and submitted with course paperwork.
· Students must inform instructor of food allergies or dietary concerns
· Students must be prepared to carry backpacks up to half of their body weight at times
· Students with allergic reactions must carry their own medication with backup medication accessible to the course instructor
Links to information and forms: